My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

With my feet in the Gulf ...

Howdy! as Texans say :) Today I stood with my feet in the Gulf of Mexico. That really makes me feel how far away from home I am! I love travelling, but I miss Markus so much. All the time I'm thinking how wonderful it would be if he could be here with me ...
This day started as a history lesson on Texas. Diana and I went to the San Jacinto battlefield where the Texans won an important battle in their fight for independence from Mexico in 1836. Their General was Sam Houston, after whom this city is named. On the battlefield is the San Jacinto Monument, a huge tower with the Lone Star on top. We saw an interesting movie about the fight for independece and an exhibition (also about the Alamo, some of you might know that battle). From the observation deck of the monument you can see Houston and the Gulf - and a lot of petrochemical industry...
Afterwards we visited the battleship Texas, which fought in both WWI and WWII. Those ships look scary when you"re close! You can actually go on bord and see the cabins, the operating room, the room of the officiers, the wash rooms etc. All on the standard of WWII. It gives a pretty good impression of how it must have been on such a battleship. The Texas was actually at Iwo Jima.
Then Diana and I drove down to Galveston which is a really nice little town at the Gulf. After more good food (New England Clam Chowder) we strolled along the Strand where you can shop yourself to death in lots of gift stores :) And before heading home we drove to the beach and I stood in the Gulf of Mexico...
Tomorrow is my last day in Houston. Wednesday my friend Leslie will pick me up and I will stay with her and Tom (her husband) in Baton Rouge (Louisiana) for another week.