My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Give me a clear sign?

So often I just want God to give me a clear sign, to practically spell out for me what he wants me to do with my life. And then, I think, I will know for sure and carry it out, make the necessary changes, adjust my will, etc. But I wonder, is that just wishful thinking?
In the course of our "bible in one year" readings, we are now reading Exodus and the story of Moses strengthened my suspicions about the eagerness to follow even "clear" signs. God appeared to Moses in the burning bush and told him not just what to do, but even that He would give Moses the words to say and guide his actions. And what does Moses do? According to my expectations - I mean that was a clear sign if there is any such thing! - Moses should have been all for it. At least happy, maybe even eager, "I'll go!", hurrying back to the camp, packing his stuff and off to Egypt. But this is not the way Moses acted. He gets it spelled out by God and then he wants to refuse. He really wants God to get somebody else for the job. And he keeps that argument up for a while.
When I read Moses' story, it really made me wonder. Would I really follow up without hesitation God's call if it came as clearly as I sometimes wish? Or would I too hesitate, maybe even try to get around it?