My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Book shelf revelations

I was looking at my book shelf and wondered what its contents reveal about me. Owner definately likes historical fiction (mainly Tudor period), biographies (missionaries/preachers) and children's books (especially old-fashioned or Astrid Lindgren). Has already finished the last Harry Potter too (loved the end).
But when I look at my books on faith and Christian living I can really see the different stages of my walk with Christ. I think the first Christian book I bought must have been"Questions: I have always wanted to ask..." by Werner Gitt. The cover is so 80s... I don't think I ever read all of it.
Then I think started a period when I mainly read books associated with Pentecostal or Charismatic churches. Some that stand out (for different reasons): Don Gossett's Praise Avenue, Benny Hinn's Good morning, Holy Spirit, Jackie Pullinger's Chasing the Dragon.
I definately went through a YWAM-period: Loren Cunningham's Is it really you, God and Winning God's way, Floyd McClung's Father Heart of God, Holiness and the spirit of the age and Living on the devil's doorstep, Joy Dawson's Intimate Friendship with God and Intercession: Thrilling, Fulfilling, Steve Shamblin's How to grow up spiritually and Tom Marshall's Right relationships. I still love those books. They helped me to grow so much.
Afterwards I started reading biographies. Amy Carmichael, Jim Elliot, John Wesley, Jay Bakker (Son of a Preacher Man - great book), Bill Wilson, ...
But when I look at the books I bought and read over the last year or so is when I look at the books that definately provided a growth spurt and mean the most to me: R.C. Sproul's The Holiness of God, John Piper's Desiring God (although I'm still not through this one), Elisabeth Elliot, Let me be a woman, Nancy Leigh DeMoss' Brokenness, Elisabeth Prentiss' Stepping Heavenward, C.J. Mahaney's Living the cross-centered life and Jerry Bridges' The discipline of grace. I'm still reading the last one and on my shelf Jeremiah Burrough's Jewel of Christian Contentment is waiting for me as well as Mary DeMuth' Building the Christian family you never had. I love to read.
Which books mean the most to you in your Christian walk?