My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year breakfast food

Since we lived in Norway, one dish has always been part of the New Year's breakfast at my parents' home: Norwegian pickled herring. Now that my DH and I try to make our own traditions and memories, it is still part of breakfast on January 1st.
It tasts great and is really easy to make, so here is the recipe for all of you:

1 onion
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
100 g white sugar
1 teaspoon peppercorns
3 bay leaves
5 whole cloves
1 package of herring

Cut the onion into slices. Put it into a pot and add all other ingredients save the herring. Bring to a boil and then let it cool. Cut the herring into pieces, put into a storage bowl, pour the cooled sauce over the herring and keep it in a cool place for 2-3 days. (Although this year I'm only preparing it one day in advance - it will taste anyway :)).

Have a joyful New Year's Eve today!

Labels: ,