My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reformation Day

Today is Reformation Day celebrating the day on which Martin Luther nailed his 95 thesis on the door of the main church at Wittenberg. From this starting point of the reformation events lead to the council at Worms with the famous words "Hier steh ich nun, ich kann nicht anders" (Here I stand, I can do no other) and then to the translation of the Latin Bible into German during the protective imprisonment of Luther at the Wartburg.
I visited the Wartburg and also Wittenberg as well as some other places connected with Martin Luther in 1996, 450 years after his death. It was really interesting and impressive.
The hymn during this video is Luther's "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott". At my first service at my church during my six months in Oslo as well as in my church here in Bonn we sang this song - in English. Which is always a little strange to me as a German, but really great.
Have a blessed Reformation Day!