My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mini-moon

I thought I'd share some more pictures. A week after our wedding we left for a weekend get-away to Leipzig as a mini-honeymoon (or as our friend called it a "mini-moon"). We spent three days in Leipzig which is situated in the Eastern part of Germany (which was the GDR until 1990).
My DH's father was born there as was my grandma, so there is quite some family history attached to that city. Fortunately the weather was great. We spend hours walking around different parts of Leipzig and sitting in nice little pubs. Some of the sights we did include the Thomaskirche (the church were Johann Sebastian Bach, the composer, worked and is buried), Nicolaikirche (where they had the important and famous prayer meetings connected with the Monday demonstrations which led to the downfall of communism in the GDR), the Stasi museum (Stasi was the secret service in the FDR spying on the citizens), the German Administrative Court and the Völkerschlachtdenkmal (a monument commemorating the battle at Leipzig which the Allies won against the invading French emperor Napoleon I in 1813).




Labels: ,