My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Like the morning mist

I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me for I have redeemed you.
Isaiah 44:22 (NIV)

This is my verse for this time of the year. It really stuck out to me when I was reading Isaiah last weekend. Instantly my mind conjured a picture of the autumn morning mists and how they vanish when the sun rays are strong enough. Here we have fall already. Leaves are turning and most mornings, mist lies over the whole city and covers the Rhine and the surrounding mountains. But later in the day it disappears due to the sun coming out. And not a trace of mist is left. Very pretty.

Our sins are not pretty. Every sin wages death, not matter if it appears just stupid to us, or excusible or evil. Sin wages death. We are stained by sin. But for those who believe, this wonderful promise stands: God swept our sins away! Just like the fall storm chases the clouds and the sun makes the morning mists disappear. And not a trace is left. Not a trace of our sin is left.