My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hiking along the limes

On the last Sunday of 2007 my DH and I decided to go on another of our hikes. As you can gather from the pictures, we don't mind hiking in not-so-perfect weather...
This time my DH picked a hike along the Limes. The limes dates back to the time when the Roman Empire was strong and stretched over huge parts of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The Romans fought hard to occupy the areas of the Germanic tribes living in what is now Northrhine-Westfalia. The Limes was the border between the Roman areas and the Germanic tribes. It consisted of palisades and watchtowers. Here are some impressions from our trip:


The spot of a former watch-tower.


The woodpile of a charcoal burner.


An old border marker.