My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday school memories

Tonight at our young adults Bible study, we will discuss John 10:11-21. What is Jesus teaching us through the image of Him as our shepherd? I'm exited for the meeting, they're almost always very inspiring. It's a very diverse group with members from Germany, Romania, Sweden, the US, Panama and several African countries.

However, when I prepared the study questions for tonight, it also transported me back in time to the early 1980s. At that time we were living in Norway. One of my favorite things then (I was about 6 years old) was going to Sunday school. It was not the typical Sunday school before or during a service, but a class for children led by a Salvation Army officer on a weekday. I remember singing songs, coloring pictures and especially many, many stories on a felt board. So many Bible stories stuck in my head thanks to this board and the kind, funny female officer who told them. This is where my faith journey began. Sometimes we received little pictures of Bible characters and of Jesus. My favorite always was the Good Shepherd. I still keep four of them in my hymnal. I thought I'd share one of them: