My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Food for thought over a long weekend

We will leave tomorrow morning for a weekend with my in-laws. It's always fun and relaxing to visit them. They live a two-hour drive to the north-east from here. For those from Germany or interested in German geography: my in-laws live in Paderborn :).

But as for once I have a little time to blog, I thought I'd put up another post and leave you with a few quotes I came across while reading about Holy Week and Christ' sufferings on our behalf. The quotes are from Frederick S. Leahy's The Cross He bore. Have a blessed Easter, everyone!
"As we meditate on Christ's prayerful submission in Gethsemane, we should realize that there, as Philip E. Hughes puts it, "we see him enduring our hell so that we may be set free to enter his heaven". And so at unspeakable cost he drank "the cup" to the very last drop. [...] Now he gives to his people the cup of salvation (Psalm 116:13). These two cups, one so bitter, the other so sweet, stand side by side: the one cup necessitated the other. One cup was emptied that the other might be filled to overflowing. The first cup guaranteed the second. Both cups are precious and bear the hallmark of sovereign grace."
[Christ] never doubet the holy decree by which he came into the world to save sinners. And so the darker the night, the greater the storm and fiercer the conflict, the more he reached out to his Father and rested in his sovereign will.

Labels: ,